So here it is:
1) Go a whole day w/out spending money (Sundays do NOT count)
2) Go a whole week w/out using your credit card
3) Go a whole month w/out eating out

I got this challenge from Suze Ormond on an episode of Oprah that I just happened to catch during the first week of January. I loved the idea and decided to take the challenge. This is how it went for us....
1) Not hard at all. It's entirely possible for me to go 4 out of 5 weekdays w/out spending a dime. I usually try to stack up my errands into one big day, so the rest of the week the kids and I play and mess around (which usually is free!)
2) Not hard at all....for us anyway. We own ZERO credit cards.
3) Ok, this is where it got extremely hard. Now, I don't consider us to be huge eater-outers, but man, having to go a WHOLE month was a challenge. And, sadly, there were "exceptions."
JL lasted about 2 days. Then he went to a business luncheon with one of his friends from work. I lasted 22 days. Then I went to a church dinner with a bunch of friends at Olive Garden. BUT I consider these to be necessary activities, rather than breaks in this rule. It's not like we went out just because. We both had good reasons, right??
So give it a try! Test your will power a little!
NOTE : if you have already eaten out (4 days into February) just consider this to be day 1 and extend your challenge to the 4th of March!
5 comments:
Way to got you two! We have actually gone as long as 6 weeks before with out eating out. We need to do that again. I am with you we can easily go a day with out spending anything, and like you we have Zero Credit Cards! Havent used one in 3 years!
If you like Suze Orman, you should check out Dave Ramsey, I have his Total Money Make-over book and we are on his plan to become Debit Free. SHould have all of our Medical paid off in 2-3 months!
We would never make it for #3. I think #1 and #2 would be a piece of cake, but we eat out probably three times a week! I loathe cooking, and we like restaurants way too much. Plus, I always look at eating out as extending the life of our food storage, wherein anything in the pantry is food storage. See! It's WORTHY! keheehee And I'm impressed that JL even agreed to try. Dave *never* would.
Yikes, this sounds tough!
I'm w/you, 1 and 2 not so bad...#3 is hard.
I need to tell Sam about it though- I've been trying to encourage him to get back to taking his lunch to work. That really adds up fast!
I'm impressed.
Hey, as far as the credit card goes, I only have one, and I put everything on it. Well theoretically, my bank card is one too, but I don't really use it since I put it all on my Southwest Airlines Visa card, and I earn mileage often.
I like the idea of trying to cut back on expenses to make our dollars go farther. Way to go, Lisa.
What the heck? I have no desire to do any one of those things!
Actually I cut my credit card in half so that means I can only buy stuff online.
Post a Comment