Monday, June 2, 2008

"Professional" Mom

I keep waiting for it to happen. For me to finally turn into a "professional" Mom. It's been a couple years now since I took on this job and the ease and groove that use to come from my old jobs has yet to hit me. I am in a constant state of rookie!

For example....when am I ever going to leave the house with everything I need again? I am notorious for packing the diaper bag only to find out I have no wipes. Or if I have wipes I have no snacks. Or if I have wipes and snacks I have no sippy cup. Or if I have wipes and snacks and a sippy cup I have no diapers. Rarely do I ever have it all.

Or, for another example...when am I ever going to have a seamless, productive day. Another thing I'm becoming notorious for is being a scatter-brain! I'll start a load of laundry only to be interrupted by a crying child and/or a huge spill and/or a dirty diaper. It's only about 2 hours later when my brain says "hey, weren't you doing laundry" and I enter the utility room to find the washer lid up and my clothes sitting in a tank of cold water.

I just have to laugh at myself! In my old "professional" career days, I could streamline my day so well that my projects were all done by mid-day. And they were done well! And in order of importance. Now ALL my tasks are of the utmost importance. Everything is critical - all day long. And I just can't seem to squeeze everything in and finish everything up.

I know. "Welcome to being a Mom" right? I look at my kids and I know it's all worth it. I love this job and wouldn't have my life any other way. But when can I have my brain back?

3 comments:

Sheyenne said...

When your kids all go to school. Then you can have your brain back for at least half a day. But that's pretty darn good.

Kelly said...

When you're in this phase, it seems like it will never end. But you'll get there...before you know it! Just enjoy those babies like you are...that's what matters.

Stephanie T said...

I don't know if you ever get your brain back, but I just stopped caring about hauling everything I would need in a diaper bag. Now I just keep an extra diaper in my purse, keep a stash in my car, and if I don't have something just beg it off another mom. Really how many places do I take my kids where there aren't 15 other moms, right? And other then that it's the grocery store.