Monday, July 27, 2009

Big Girl Room

This is the room that I built. Ok, I didn't build it build it, but I dreamt it up, designed it, painted it, and finally completed it this past weekend. And I'm pleased with it. Make that beyond pleased. It's just dripping with cute!

HGTV must be paying off for me or something. I don't think I have a knack for decorating. Like, at all. But Izzy's room blew my creativity brain and skills to new levels.

I still have a lot of wall stuff to hang, but you'll get the general idea from these pictures.

Ready to stripe

Isabel was eager to help


Taped and ready to start

First the green

Then the white

Then the chair rail (and about 15 thousand coats of white paint on the rail to hide the nails!)

Getting things set up

The bedding that inspired it all

I learned a valuable lesson during this project: If you are a perfectionist, do NOT try to do stripes on walls with texture. I spent countless hours with a detail brush trying to straighten out my lines. Why? Because I knew they were crooked! There has to be a better way.

I'll post a few pictures of the totally completed room as soon as I reach that point. There is a window shade on its way, a shelf that needs to be hung, and a few wall details I'm going to add. Once I get there, you'll see a new post. Until then, you can find me hanging out in Izzy's room adoring the cute!

**UPDATE**
I just added the wall letters that my sister-in-law so lovingly hand painted! Thanks Myrt - they are absolutely perfect!!!!!


7 comments:

mdm said...

IZZY'S ROOM IS BEYOND CUTE--IT'S ADORABLE! LOOKS LIKE THE NEXT COVER FOR BETTER HOMES & GARDENS. GREAT JOB, LISA!!!!

Sheyenne said...

That is so darn cute! I LOVE the stripes, and especially the little owl pillows.

Stephanie T said...

Her room is adorable! I can't believe you did all of this while dealing with two small children, a puppy, and morning sickness.

I can't wait to see it in person.

BTW- If you ever decide to do stripes again. Rub a little of the joint compound on all of the tape seams before you paint. Fills in all those bumps.

Auntie Muggs said...

WOW, it makes me tired just looking at the pictures! Great Job!!! You know I have a few rooms that could use your talents...

Brooke said...

Lisa, that is some good work! Her room looks so cute. Now my next question - does she actually sleep in her big girl bed yet?

Erin Jeanne said...

Lis! It turned out awesome!! The striping is sooo cute! I dig the bedding too! You have alot of patients! Ben is getting a big boy room when we get home, can you believe our babies are getting soo big!

Kelly said...

You did awesome! This turned out so pretty, even if you can see the imperfections. I know what you mean though because of the textured walls, the paint doesn't lie flat. It's annoying! I have already learned that lesson and that is why I have not done stripes, because the process would drive me nuts. What an adorable room, Lisa!